Thursday, August 14, 2008

Interesting Day

Some of you will know a little about this post. Some of you won't know at all what I'm talking about. And there are those of you who will know exactly why this post is so personal to me. You are the ones who won't think it's so silly.

I marched in a drum corps called The Cadets back in 2000. It was a great summer. I was in a great drum corps. We even won the world championship title. It was a great summer. I learned so much about drumming, and about teaching. But what I learned most was how I want to live the rest of my life. It was one of the few moments in my life where I really felt like I can be successful at anything. I really felt great about myself. Those of you that know me well know that this is not an easy task. I tend to be down on myself quite often. But that summer with the Cadets, I felt on top of the world. People that were close to me actually looked up to me. they were proud of me.

I knew that summer that I really had to thank. Tom Aungst. Tom is one of the most influential people in my life. He taught me so many things. My summer with The Cadets and with Tom helped me define how I want to live my entire life.

Tom resigned from The Cadets. His partner in crime, Neil Larivee also resigned. Neil and Tom developed the program and wrote all the percussion music. They were also the core of the design team. But what they did for The Cadets was so much more. They showed young people what they are truly made of. There are a very select few that really saw how hard I worked that summer. Most of you wouldn't be able to comprehend how hard I worked that summer. I find it hard to comprehend how I did it.

I wanted to say thanks to Tom and Neil for doing an amazing thing for my life. I get choked up just thinking about my summer with The Cadets. You guys are the best, and you are irreplaceable. I'm sure The Cadets Percussion in the coming years will be great. They will play their butts off, and they may even win some championships. But those young people will never be blessed the same way all of your alumni were blessed. You guys did a great service for me, and I am eternily grateful.

No comments: